The Glendale Shoals are a great place to go, whether you want to participate in an event or just come out on your own and walk the trails!
Twenty Things to Do at the Shoals:
- Make a picnic lunch to eat on the rocks next to the river!
- Go for a run on the trail system
- Set up your hammock and take a nap
- Try out your photography skills and take some nature shots! (You can submit photos to GoodallOutreach@wofford.edu for a chance to be Visitor Photo of the Month!)
- Walk around the garden and see if there is anything fresh and tasty to eat—take home some fresh herbs or grapes!
- Bring a yoga mat for some outdoor meditation
- Study for exams somewhere not totally packed with other students
- Bring some friends and musical instruments for an afternoon jam session
- Get a plant or animal identification book and teach yourself about the species at the Shoals
- Two words: Frisbee Sports
- Check out the ruins of the textile mill for some historical context
- Come in the evening to see the stars much more clearly than you can downtown
- Help the Goodall Center gardener Steve Patton and learn something new about growing plants
- Read a book next to the flowing water or under a tree
- Bring your sketchbook with you and create some art
- Ride your bike out to Glendale from Wofford—a good distance for a quality work out!
- Wade into the river to look for critters
- Organize your group project meetings outside—nature can make for great inspiration!
- Take your dog out for a walk
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer with school field trip groups and events!
The Shoals is my favorite spot in Spartanburg to relax and get away from it all. Nothing is more comforting than the sound of running water after a long week!
I go out to the Shoals to write. Nature is a big inspiration to me when I am working on a new poem or short story.